Development item: NumLock

Harold L Hunt huntharo@msu.edu
Wed Jun 19 15:32:00 GMT 2002

Thomas,

Thomas Chadwick wrote:
> I did a quick search in Google concerning NumLock and stumbled upon the
> following:
>
> http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue36/tag/32.html
>
> Sounds to me like XWin is doing the right thing, and the behavior when
> NumLock is on is expected.

Interesting.  I was unaware of this switch.

However, my conclusion is different.  It sounds to me like a couple of
engineers decided that NumLock should be a modifier instead of being handled
by the server (I'm assuming that means that the server looks it NumLock is one
and maps number pad key presses to other keys when this is the case).  This
was the New Theory of NumLock.  Back in reality, 30% of well-known X Clients
are oblivious to this New Theory of NumLock.  I think we're going to have to
revert to the old behavior for  NumLock; that is, I think we're going to have
to remap key presses for the number pad.  Perhaps I'll make this configurable
if possible (as to whether NumLock is a modifier or not).

Add another one to the To-Do list...