setxkbmap failure with cygwin-xfree 4.2.0

Charles L. Werner cw@gamma-rs.ch
Thu Mar 7 00:52:00 GMT 2002

Greetings,

I have attempted to use setxkbmap to change the keyboard layout to a
swiss-german layout. Just using the default layout leads to getting
standard key codes within the XFree desktop apps (xterm...). Our
installation is the latest 4.2.0 XFree86 , up to date cygwin
installation (see output of cygcheck attached) under NT-4 sp5 and WIN2K.
  With the command:

setxkbmap -layout de_CH

you get the setxkbmap error message:

Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
Use defaults: rules - 'xfree86' model - 'pc101' layout - 'us'
Error loading new keyboard description

There was also a MS error box that popped up with the message:

Failed assertion
fds_on_hold !=NULL
at line 643 of file
/cygnus/netrel/src/cygwin-1.3.10-1/winsup/cygwin/dtable.cc

I tried other arguments to setxkbmap but all give the same response,
even using the default arguments. xkb files are in /etc/lib/X11/xkb

Any suggestions? is some environment variable wrongly set?

Thanks!

Charles

--
Dr. Charles L. Werner