Can multiple remote sessions be run simultaneously under v4.2.0?

Harold Hunt huntharo@msu.edu
Tue Mar 19 09:40:00 GMT 2002

Victor,

Yes, what you describe is supported... but there are some rough edges that
you will encounter.  The idea is that you start one X Server that runs
multiple screens, each connected to a different host.  The primary problem
that you will encounter is that sometimes the Windows mouse cursor is not
hidden or revealed correctly.

An example command line would be:

XWin -screen 0 1024 768 -query host1 -screen 1 1024 768 -query host2 -screen
2 640 480 -query host3

Unfortunately, you have to specify the width and height of each window (1024
width by 768 height, etc.) when using the -screen parameter.  All
screen-specific parameters that follow one -screen parameter will apply to
that screen only, until another -screen paramter is encountered.  Thus the
first -query parameter applies to screen 0, the second -query applies to
screen 1, etc.  The window will be made as large as will fit on the screen
if you specify a screen size that is as large or larger than the current
graphics mode (i.e. if you are running at 1024x768 then a 1024 768 or larger
screen parameter will create a window slightly smaller than 1024 768 to
account for the Start menu; increasing the parameter to 1280 1024 will not
create a larger window).

Hope that helps,

Harold