Unable to get french keyboard with XDMCP connexion on AIX

Franz Wolfhagen FRANZW@dk.ibm.com
Fri May 3 02:13:00 GMT 2002

There are basically two ways of doing that both works....

Goto www.gotti.org for a little more detail, this are the basics (I have
tested both and they work ok) :

1: compile a keyboard with your french locale : (this is an example in fora
belgish locale  taken from an earlier append - change be to fr) :

> >  xkbcomp -xkm -m be /etc/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86 /tmp/be.xkm
> >
> >  XWin +kb -xkbmap be -auth "$HOME/.Xauthority" -emulate3buttons

2: use xmodmap with a french xmodmap.fr file (you can download a redhat
xmodmap library from www.gotti.org)

You then just have to run the xmodmap /<location of your xmodmap.fr
file>/xmodmap.fr
Warning - you might recieve compile errors - i had to comment out the 6.
line in the xmodmap.dk file to get it to work.

Hope this helps you.

I think all us from europe should try to get together and get the NLS
thinngs to work on top of the great job the primarily done by Harold - this
would really make a breakthrough on this side of the Atlantic ;-) - if I
find some time I will try to sketch out the basics....

Med venlig hilsen / Regards
Franz Wolfhagen