CYGWin reliability

Linux linux@dounsix.co.nz
Mon May 6 02:00:00 GMT 2002

Thanks for your interest/help. During the times when I cant connect using
CYGwin using xwin.exe -query x.x.x.x -from x.x.x.x I get a new screen with a
croshatch background ikt stays there for a while, 10-20 seconds, then
dissapears. If I try multiple times I get the same responce. If I try XWin32
(starnet) or the NCD terminal then I can connect. Going back to the Win2K PC
dosent work. I leave it for an hour or reboot it some times then it may go.
I am sorry to be vague but I have not discovered any disernable pattern to
this madness.

Many thanks

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: PD Dr. Edward Wornar [mailto:edi@serbski-institut.de]
Sent: Monday, 6 May 2002 20:30
To: linux@dounsix.co.nz
Cc: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: CYGWin reliability

> I have been using Cygwin for the last 4 months now and find it reasonably
> good to use, however.
> I have been having continuous problems getting it to connect to the server
> box.
> The configuration is Server: Redhat 7.2 (was7.1) running xdm > Win2K
Server.
> Sometimes it will connect sometimes it wont connect at all.
> I updated the Cygwin installation last week.
> I have an eval copy of Xwin32 which works fine and my NCD300 terminal also
> connects every time.
> Is there any tricks? Have I missed anything?

We're using Cygwin/XFree86 4.1 at work to connect to a linux server and
find it *extremely* reliable: Over 20 boxes and no such problems yet.

What message do you get? Are these problems timeouts, refused connections,
do other
things work from a box when it can't connect? What else is running on these
boxes?
There's a lot of "utilities" and virus scanners out there which severely
damage
the network stuff on Windows.

To me, it looks more like a network problem than a cygwin problem.

HTH

Edi

This mail was processed by Mail essentials for Exchange/SMTP,
the email security & management gateway. Mail essentials adds
content checking, email encryption, anti spam, anti virus,
attachment compression, personalised auto responders, archiving
and more to your Microsoft Exchange Server or SMTP mail server.
For more information visit http://www.mailessentials.com