Can't connect with XDMCP - Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

Harold L Hunt huntharo@msu.edu
Wed Nov 27 07:19:00 GMT 2002

Alexander,

It sounds like your problems are probably due to a sector of your network
using only internal IP addresses (10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x) that are not being
passed through a Network Address Translation system when they are routed to
the sector of your network with valid external IP addresses.  In other words,
your IP address is being lost by the router for some reason, while the packet
is not being dropped for some other reason.  Thus your HP-UX machine sees a
packet that came from 0.0.0.0 instead of, say, 10.0.0.100.

That is my theory... and it seems pretty likely because your machine is not
having a problem getting the IP address being used by your adapter when it is
on one segment of the network, so it shouldn't be having problems on the
other segment of the network either.

Now, for the hard-hitting questions:

1) Are you using the same network adapter on both network segments.  That is,
you aren't using a wireless adpater on one segment and a wired adapter on
another segment, are you?

2) Are you using DHCP or not using DHCP on both networks?  That is, does one
segment use DHCP but the other does not?

3) Can you do a ``traceroute'' to the HP-UX workstations from the network
segment that does not work with XDMCP?  It would be nice to get some sort of
confirmation that you can at least get packets back from the HP-UX
workstations.

With those answers, we may be better able to help you.

Harold