an idea for building win32 based xfs

Kin Taishin taishin@imap.cc
Thu Nov 14 01:44:00 GMT 2002

Thank you for your comments.

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

>there is a mkfontdir for truetype fonts. (ttmkfdir)

 I forgot to mention. But ttmkfdir does not support TrueType Collection
files (*.ttc). And this one is based on FreeType 1, I guess.

>>  2) remake xfs using win32 API
>>     don't know how much work should be done but worth to try?
>>

>A lot. the fontserver renders the truetype font to a bitmap font if it
>receives a request for font x at size y. You would have to do this for
>all characters.

 I will use w32api to render fonts. Anti-aliasing would be a thing to be
implemented later.

>>  3) replace Xft layer of XFree86 with win32-based code
>>     may be...but I'm not an X guru!
>>

>never. This would break a lot of remote programs which require X11 fonts.
>
>Better idea: Take xfs, strip all font handling except TTF and replace reading
>of fonts.dir by an inline ttmkfdir or build the datastructure using simple
>w32api TrueType functions.

 I see. I'll take the latter approach.
 I really appreciate your giving me an advice!

 Thanks,
 Taishin