Xwinclip doesn't work with Konsole

Chris Twiner c_twiner@hotmail.com
Thu Nov 21 23:32:00 GMT 2002

>Hi!
>
>Sorry for private mail, but I am not sure I can mail to the
>list.. reading it from news.

No problems.  I had to register with the global posting list (on
sources.redhat.com) to post properly, I had so many returned to me.  Using
the global list means you don't have to receive all message postings.

>Just a quick thought.. as you say "it does not use the PRIMARY
>selection properly", does it use the primary selection at all?

According to the docs on it, yes.  It's apparently a well known problem, if
it is the problem that was suggested.

>I mean, modern X and like the CDE on solaris has two clipboards, one
>is for CDE, and can be accessed by apps compiled to CDE through the
>menus edit->copy edit->paste, while the other, in xterms, emacs and so
>on uses the ancient select with mouse, and paste with middle button..

Strictly speaking the acient select with mouse and paste option is the
correct ICCM standard, that's why qt3 is moving to that way of operating.
It's probable that it's current implementation is just using it's own wierd
solution but the postings on google seem to indicate it uses both CLIPBOARD
and PRIMARY so it may be it's just not using it properly.

>It is not like Konsole uses the alternative clipboard? Or you are
>supposed to use it..

Nope it's non standard.  However that doesn't mean that xwinclip shouldn't
be changed to work with it.

>Or maybe even you need to select the text, and do a edit->copy to get
>it to the clipboard?

Could be, but I'd like to see what the latest output would be.

Chris