SSH Notes

Alexander Gottwald Alexander.Gottwald@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Oct 4 02:56:00 GMT 2002

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> ssh should assume ``DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0'' when the DISPLAY variable is
> not set on the Cygwin host.  I am not sure why this is not currently the
> case.  I can only guess that the lack of this assumption is either do to
> 1) a whiny security geek on the openssh project, or 2) that the assumed
> usage scenario for openssh is more like a Linux/X machine where you have
> probably got your X Server running when you connect to your remote
> machine with ssh, thus DISPLAY would already be set.

What if you are remote on an machine (linux or cygwin, does not matter) and
a user has already started a xserver on localhost:0.0. You are not allowed
to connect. So you don't set DISPLAY. If ssh would automaticly set DISPLAY
it would try to connect to an xserver which then refuses the connect.
ssh would abort because of an error. Not setting DISPLAY means "don't use X"

If users want DIPLAY explicitly set they can add it to their .profile

bye
    ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723