Uses for Cygwin/XFree86

Chris Plonski CPlonski@nbc6.com
Mon Oct 21 16:04:00 GMT 2002

I have used Cygwin/XFree86 for a couple of years now almost exclusively for XDMCP.  I think it's one of the best products available for this.  And now with the new rootless mode, Irix seems quite at home on my PC!

However, every time I fire it up in "stand-alone" mode (non-XDMCP) via the startxwin.bat or .sh scripts, I am amazed by the apparent dearth of X applications (with the exception of xterm and xeyes).  Are most people using this product for home-brewed applications or am I missing something really obvious?  I would really like to know what most people are using this apparently very powerful tool for.