[ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 68

Uwe Schmidtmann U.Schmidtmann@visicon-online.de
Thu Oct 24 01:13:00 GMT 2002

Hello Harold, Hello all.

Just to give some more (late) feedback (hope it helps a bit):

>>I intend to make XFree86-xserv-4.2.0-15 the stable release as soon as I
>>receive some feedback that it does not introduce any substantial bugs.

I have been using the rootless mode since it was first "released" as a
test for doing my daily programming. I only updated the XWin.exe to the
test without extended logging as that consumed too much time and disk
space. What I use is:

- icewm as window manager (task bar always visible and supplying
   the window manager`s menu to open new xterms, apart from that I
   do most of the work via command line anyway), usually one work space
   left unused to be able to "hide" all X windows with one mouse click...
- nedit with multiple windows (my C source code editor, sometimes 6 and
   more distributet over icewm`s workspaces)
- ssh login to my home system
- administration of our internet gateway here in the company (2 LinuX
   boxes)
- mozilla from the LinuX box

In parallel on the Windoze side I used
- Borland C++ to comile and debug while having nedit open
- Mozilla
- Open Office
- setiathome client

I had NO problems at all, everything runs fine except slightly more time
seems to be needed to open an X window - but that is no problem here,
maybe it is an illusion anyway.

Cygwin saved me a lot of trouble in my daily work anyway but with
rootless mode the "context switching" between editing and compiling has
become extremely convenient.

The Host OS is Windows NT with Service Pack 6.

I did not fully check it on my laptop with Windows 98 yet.

As far as my experience is concerned: Green light for a release...

Regards and have a nice weekend,

Uwe