Cygwin Remote: Want to implement a Citrix Metaframe alternative

Thomas Chadwick j_tetazoo@hotmail.com
Tue Oct 8 17:28:00 GMT 2002

Thanks.

I have a small "bag of tricks" like this.  One of these days I'll get around
to documenting them.  If/when I do so I'll be sure to post a URL to the ML.

By the way, I discovered a caveat in the solution I posted at the root of
this thread.  XWin starts up before xinit launches ssh, causing the root
window to obscure the command-line so that you can't see it prompt for a
password.  I think a reasonable fix would be to put the ssh command "inside"
an xterm in the .xinitrc file as follows:

xterm -title "ssh on `hostname`" \
-e ssh -X remoteusername@remotehostname pathtoremotescript

>From: Harold L Hunt II <huntharo@msu.edu>
>To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
>Subject: Re: Cygwin Remote: Want to implement a Citrix Metaframe
>alternative
>Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 16:43:48 -0400
>
>Thomas,
>
>Yes, that is an excellent answer and it describes an elegant solution that
>99% of people would not be able to come up with on their own.  I am
>flagging it for inclusion into the User's Guide.  Of course, that doesn't
>mean it will be in the User's Guide next week, or even next month, but it
>will eventually get there.
>
>Harold

[snip]