Rootless mode revisited...

Jehan nahor@bravobrava.com
Wed Oct 16 10:40:00 GMT 2002

MATSUZAKI Kensuke wrote:
>>1) When you click and drag on an Xwindow to move it, you only see the bits
>>and pieces of the "rubber band" outline which happen to overlap the other
>>Xwindows.  Where the rubber band overlaps Windows windows, you see nothing.
>

> It seems that outline is drawn on Root window and this patch creates only
> window region for top leve X windows (child of root), so 1) occur.
> I don't know how to solve it.
>

>>2) Now that there is no root window, you can't use the XWindows window
>>manager's root-window menus.
>

> How about "CreateRectRgn (0, 0, 4, 4)" in winUpdateRgn(WindowPtr pWin)
> instead of "CreateRectRgn (0, 0, 0, 0)"?
> It makes small top left area of root window visible.

We should be able to move the area if possible. With WMaker for
instance, by default, there is a big icon on the top left.

Or, we could have an option in the XWin system menu that
enables/disables regions. Checking the option would then show/hide the
root window.

Or, since shape windows don't work yet, we could create a shaped X
window with an empty content. If I run xeyes in shape mode, I can "see"
the root window and get the menus when clicking between the eyes.
IOW, run xeyes with the eyes :)

Otherwise, another "weird" thing, in the mouse cursor that gets cut at
the window borders but I don't think it would be worth the trouble to do
something about it.

	Jehan