xwinclip - update and motif clipboard

Chris Twiner c_twiner@hotmail.com
Thu Sep 5 08:57:00 GMT 2002

Hi All,

Quick update, got the signal working properly for ctrl-c or closing the
windows command window.  Solution (as the SIGINT handler is run in a
seperate thread in windows) is to set a variable in the windows loop that
sends the kill message that kill_xwinclip was doing.

That means that all the kill_.. apps that I wanted to get rid of can be (and
have). It also means that I don't need a window to handle turning on and off
clipboard operations a simple close of the window would be sufficient.

Also I believe that handling the xIO error as a thread within XWin should be
possible but I'd still be tempted to run it seperately as xwinclip.  It
could work integrated if it was run as a seperate thread (would need to be
anyway really), as such longjmp and setjmp should affect only that thread.
Again I don't see how much sense this really makes.

I do have a remaining issue that I'd like to solve, CLIPBOARD operations.
The problem seems to be the application I'm using i.e. NEdit uses Motif
programming interfaces (or lesstif) in the default distribution.  This
leaves four questions :

1) Should we try to get Motif clipboard operations (like klipper)?
2) If so how do we identify that what client owns the clipboard is a motif
one (to use the motif mechanism for getting the clipboard data)?
3) Should we try to get motif clipboard before the X clipboard or after?
4) How exactly do we get the motif clipboard?

I belive 1) should be a yes but as yet I'm at a loss to attempt the other 3
questions.  I have read that the root window property CLIPBOARD holds the
clipboard for Motif apps but xprop dumps when i do
xprop -root CLIPBOARD.

Either way I've have only just started looking at that issue and I'm just
about to read

http://www.ist.co.uk/motif/books/vol6A/ch-21.fm.html#649570

But any help would be nice from someone who knows the answers now :-)

anywho,

chris

PS (Jehan and Harold, it was all tab characters that I was inserting, I'll
change them to the two space's that Harold uses).