XFree hangs after first client is started

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Tue Sep 17 06:52:00 GMT 2002

Carlos,

I have never personally experienced that problem, nor do I know where to
begin in attempting to solve it.

You could try the usual, like making sure no firewall software is
installed, etc.

One thing I can guarantee: if you format the hard drive on a machine
(not necessarily one of the two that don't work), install Windows, then
immediately install Cygwin/XFree86, then Cygwin/XFree86 will work
without problems.  My point?  Lots of seemingly harmless software
(firewalls, etc.) do things to the TCP/IP system on Windows that breaks
Cygwin/XFree86 and a lot of these programs never fully ``uninstall''.
 That is, they usually leave their broken TCP/IP changes in place.  So,
your only choice may be to start from a blank slate, get Cygwin/XFree86
working, then install your other applications until you find which one
breaks Cygwin/XFree86.

Good luck,

Harold