X client wrapper for Win apps?

Alexander Gottwald Alexander.Gottwald@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Sep 19 12:58:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Jehan wrote:

> Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> > What I would like to see is a possibility to export the display of windows
> > hosts to remote machines. X is one of the best solutions for this. As a
> > side effect, you also could display these applications in the Cygwin
> > XServer running on windows, but also on an XServer running an hpux or
> > on Sparc/Solaris or MacOS X or Darwin or ...
> >
> > Most of the above platforms will never allow to run native windows apps
> > with wine.
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't get that. WINE runs on top of X. If WINE runs a
> windows application, then it can export it.

But you won't get wine running on a sparc since wine requires i386 archicture
and sparc is a sparc architecture. You can have X11 on sparc as much as you
want but you won't get wine running. So you need an extra windows box
wich runs the program. And wine will fail if the windows program is needed
for special hardware access.

> But an even better solution, if you want to export the Windows desktop,
> is too use VNC (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/). It exports nearly
> anything anywhere. And it's a proven working solution already implemented.

VNC is not the better solution. It grab parts of the picture _after_ they were
drawn. X11 sends the drawing commands across network. There was always a VNC
client for windows which allowed access to a unix session. But as this is
far from being fast someone started building a xserver for windows.

VNC requires much higher bandwidth than X11 and will fail on fast changes of
the display content.

bye
    ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723