XFree 4.2.1 + fontconfig-2

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@yahoo.com
Mon Sep 23 15:03:00 GMT 2002

--- Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 10:25:48 +0200, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> > That is a windows problem. The XFree libraries are in fact
> versioned.
> > (libXaw.so.6.1 vs libXaw.so.7.0)

> Alexander,
>
> You've hit a sore spot here. The issue of Xft1 vs Xft2 was only the
> starting of a larger picture.
>
> Your right in the fact that all libraries are versioned, and we
> don't
> respect that for any library. libX11.a should really be
> libX11-6_2.a etc
> or some equivalent of.
>
> We also need to consider backwards compatibility as to not break
> older
> applications.
>
> I've fixed the immediate problem and can re-instate Xft1. But any
> want to pipe up with anything on this topic ?

Like it or not, if we make the switch we will break binary
compatibility.  This is, of course, because runtime libraries cannot
be symlinked on Windows.  Still, this is something that will have to
be done sooner or later (again perhaps for the 4.3.0 release?).
However, I think the benefits in the longrun will outweigh the
incovience of a few questions from people caught in this switch.
I'll let Harold voice his mind on this now...

Cheers,
Nicholas