X client wrapper for Win apps?

Alexander Gottwald Alexander.Gottwald@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Sep 20 03:33:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Jehan wrote:

> Ok, if I read correctly between the lines, I think I know where my
> problem is. Is user32.dll and the "GDI driver" the same thing? Or is the
> "GDI driver" like my video card driver or my audio card driver?

The GDI driver _is_ the videocard driver. The General Drawing Interface
is an abstraction layer for 2D graphics. So you're graphics driver
provides just this interface (and some directdraw interfaces) and all
2D graphics operation as LineTo or DrawRectangle will end in this GDI
interface.

> A driver, in the other hand, seems to be more easily replacable. I
> haven't heard yet of Windows keeping several versions of a driver and
> using the one that matches a given application.

Maybe not in an per-application context but more like a session context.
The advanced server has remote output and local output. Also applications
started via the MS Telnet server don't get access to the display. Also
printing is in most cases done by switching the devicecontext from the
display to the printer driver.

The CreateDC function might be a starting point for reading.

bye
    ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723