New Project (was RE: X client wrapper for Win apps?)

David Fraser davidf@sjsoft.com
Fri Sep 20 11:30:00 GMT 2002

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, David Fraser wrote:
>

>>Other names:
>>  OpenWin[dows] (because it's open source replacement for windows gdi)
>>  XOpenWin[dows]
>>

>OpenWindows is the X11 environment from SUN. Using this name might bring
>some trademark problems.
>
>bye
>	ago

Thanks, had realized that (mentioned later in email)...rats
thesaurus time:
  Window: light port sky lattice sun shine viewpoint outlet shutter gate
hmmm...

Anyway I'm happy with XOpenWin. I prefer it to win2x because it sounds
more professional.
Any objections?

Here's a stab at the project descriptions etc:
1. Full Name

XOpenWin

2. Project Purpose and Summarizations

XOpenWin is a project to utilize X Windows as an alternative user
interface for Windows
operating systems. It will use the the cygwin xfree86 project
(particularly xlib) to display
the equivalent of GDI calls for Windows applications. It may import or
use code from the
Wine project that does similar things on Linux; however this is
essentially different to Wine
as it is only converting the display, not emulating any other Windows
functions. Programming
language will be C/C++, OS platforms as many windows variants as
possible. This has been
discussed extensively on the cygwin-xfree86 mailing list and planning
has already begun.

3. License

GPL.

4. Project Public Description:

XOpenWin is a project to utilize XWindows as an alternative user
interface for Windows
operating systems. It will allow any app (or the whole UI) to be
displayed in an X server,
on the user's screen (cygwin) or remotely. 'Say goodbye to the Windows GDI'

5. Unix name

XOpenWin

Any changes, post them quickly, otherwise I'll go ahead...