Remote Graphical Acesss to SuSE from XP

David White whitedavida@hotmail.com
Fri Apr 4 17:46:00 GMT 2003

Sirs,

I am attempting to access my SuSE 8.1 machine from WinXP by way of
CygWin/XFree86 without success.  I am able to access the Linux machine with
SSH through a standard terminal window though.  Unfortunately I am new to
Linux, so I am going at this half blind.  I have visited the message
archives and have tried several suggested listed there, but I still have
problems.

My setup: (one network card each)
Linux Machine:
SuSE 8.1 running KDE 3.0 desktop
all xfree86 packages installed
IP 192.168.0.5

WinXP Machine:
CygWin with all xfree86 and KDE2.2.2 packages installed
IP 192.168.0.7

I start CygWin through the standard cygwin.bat file from installation.  From
the terminal window I can connect to 192.168.0.5 through TelNet or SSH to
change the DISPLAY variable.  In my attempts I have set DISPLAY to both
192.168.0.7:0.0 and 127.0.0.1:0.0.

After I logout, I attempt set XHOST with XHOST +192.168.0.7.  I get an error
message; it is the only response I am ever able to get from XHOST with any
IP address or host name entry.  The error message is:
xhost:  unable to open display””

If I run xstart or xwin, a blank graphics window comes up with the X mouse
cursor, etc, without an image.  I have tried to setup different display
variables in startxwin.bat, startxwin.sh, cygwin.bat and others without any
change.  The one interesting thing is that from a terminal window with in
Xwin window I can type XHOST 192.168.0.5 and get an response saying that the
address has been added.  Still there is not any change in that Xwin window
or any other one that is started from that terminal screen.

I have followed all instructions I could find on the Internet about
installation for CygWin and the KDE2.2.2 package
(http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/kde2/installation.php).  Now I am at a
loss.  If someone could please offer ANY suggestions, it will be most
appreciated!!

Thank you for your time.

David White
whitedavida@hotmail.com