Duplicate Keystrokes - Again, Again!

Duncan Cragg duncan@cilux.org
Thu Apr 10 13:21:00 GMT 2003

> Sorry, I haven't got a clue how to help you.  I spent hours
> investigating the duplicate keystrokes problem many months ago.  I
> described some of what I learned in the following email:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-02/msg00195.html

Yup: as my original email indicated with the Google link, I have read
the history!!

> All I could see is that for certain instances of Windows keypress
> messages we were generating two keystrokes in the X Client with the
> focus.  I followed this as low as I could with gdb and it was always a
> single keystroke as far as I could see, but it magically turned into
> two keystrokes at some level beyond where I could look.  I speculated
> that perhaps this was something in the MI layer trying to do an
> "autorepeat" for us, which we don't want it to do.  It could be the
> delay between the down message and the up message that is causing
> this.  But, like I said, I looked through almost all of the code and
> nowhere could I find a part that looped and created extra keypresses
> in the X Client.

In support of your conclusion, I tried a simple 'xset r off'.  This
fixes the problem for me (or, at least, makes it so much reduced that I
haven't seen it yet), and, of course, I still get key repeats off Windows.

Thanks for replying; I still find it hard to believe that this is such a
rare problem that it is given low priority. Must be one of my '.*' files
that's making it worse!

Cheers

Duncan Cragg