xwinclip: non-ascii characters truncate copy/paste

Jay Smith jay@JaySmith.com
Sun Apr 13 16:58:00 GMT 2003

Hi,

My apologies if this has been previously discussed, but have not found a
recent reference to this problem.

When copying/pasting text containing non-ascii characters, such as å, or è,
or publishers/curly quote marks, etc., when I do the paste the content is
truncated stating at where the non-ascii character would have been; neither
that character or anything after it is pasted.  (I have no way of knowing
what was copied into the buffer).

I see this problem when copying/pasting within my linux applications
(specifically Mozilla mail) or when I copy from Mozilla Mail to a Windows
95 application like Notepad.

Since a large portion of my correspondence is with non-American people,
this is a serious productivity problem for me.

My environment is:

Windows 95 running Cygwin ....
   XFree86-base     4.2.0-1
          -lib      4.2.0-5
          -xserv    4.2.0-28 (that's what it says: 28)
          -xwinclip 4.2.0-8

I am using XDM to get to RedHat Linux 8 which has been kept up to date,
using up2date, to just BEFORE the point a couple weeks ago that they
screwed things up with the glib disaster.  (I feel like I have been
Microsoft'ed; my faith in RH has been devastated.)

Any ideas/suggestions or fixes?  If more environment info is needed, please
advise.

Jay

--
Jay Smith