Problems configuring cygwin-xfree for XDM and non-US kbd`

Ruth Ivimey-Cook Ruth.Ivimey-Cook@ivimey.org
Tue Apr 22 14:04:00 GMT 2003

At 14:52 22/04/2003, you wrote:
>On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Ruth Ivimey-Cook wrote:
> > gdm then says "I'm willing", but nothing more happens. The
> request--willing
> > response is repeated a few times.
>
>This is very strange. The config file does only change the preset for rgb
>file,
>fontpath and keyboard layout.
>
>Can you try changing the keyboardlayout after login via setxkbmap gb. If this
>does not work then I expect a problem with your installation.

I tried this twice: once using the setxkbmap in RedHat 9, which failed with
a simple error (unknon map, or something like that), the other time using
setxkbmap.exe from cygwin, which crashed the X server with a segfault (core
dumped). The latter is why I can't say exactly what the former error
message was!

I do have an /etc/X11/xkb directory, and it does have a file "gb". All
files there are as installed using setup.exe.

>the -keyboard switch names the configuration to use if multiple keyboard
>sections
>are found in the config file. Default is the first on, but you can also name
>the section and select them by name.

So that wont help me then.

Regards,

Ruth