can not start 'startx' from the prompt and missing files

kiwhan chung kiwhan@hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 20:37:00 GMT 2003

Hey Andy,

The installation Guide on page 15 says the following.  I followed the exact
instruction, but still no success....

startx - Use the standard XFree86 startx script with its attendant
~/.xinitrc configuration file. First you need to create ~/.xinitrc from the
template in /etc/X11/xinit/:

Username@CygwinHost ~
$ cp /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc

Now you may customize ~/.xinitrc and start Cygwin/XFree86 with:

Username@CygwinHost ~
$ cd /usr/X11R6/bin && startx

Or, you can run startx by first adding /usr/X11R6/bin/ to the search path:

Username@CygwinHost ~
$ PATH=%PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin

Username@CygwinHost ~
$ startx

Or, you can run startx by first changing directories to /usr/X11R6/bin/:

Username@CygwinHost ~
$ cd /usr/X11R6/bin

Username@CygwinHost /usr/X11R6/bin
$ startx

I copied the .xinitrc file from /etc/X11/xinit/ and it was in this .xinitrc
file that some of the variables defined in the file (
sysresources=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources and
sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap ) weren't found.

BTW, whether I add the PATH=%PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin in the .xinitrc file or not
didn't make difference.

Thanks,

Kiwhan