request for new feature

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Sun Aug 3 17:46:00 GMT 2003

Igor,

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> Harold,
>
> I have to agree with David here.  If everyone's pet commands were to be
> added into the default X tray menu (an equivalent of the root menu in
> other WMs, I guess), that menu would be well nigh unmanageable.  It would
> be much nicer to have the configurability of, say, fvwm in the multiwindow
> WM.  This would let people actually add their own commands as they please
> without necessarily affecting other users.  The multiwindow window manager
> is still young, with room to grow -- it might be better to learn the
> lessons of other WMs and do it right.
> 	Igor
> P.S. You're also right that adding a static xterm startup item to the menu
> is a step in the general direction of a configurable menu.  Besides,
> you're the maintainer, and thus, you're the boss. :-)

I am all about baby steps.  We haven't even proven that we know how to
start a new application for the user from the system tray icon yet.
Until we actually do that this discussion is really pointless.

My development plan goes something like this: do it simply, test it,
make it more complex.

As for adding xterm... I really don't think it is a pet command.  xterm
is often an item in shortcut menus and it happens to be the only
application that we start by default in startxwin.bat.  So, it wouldn't
be such a leap to want to let people start another xterm if they
accidentally close the default one.