request for new feature

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Mon Aug 4 16:58:00 GMT 2003

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 12:22:33PM -0400, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>
>>Depends on if we use Cygwin's fork or Window's CreateProcess.  We
>>haven't made that decision yet.
>

> Huh.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.  It's a cygwin program so why not
> use fork/exec?  Then Xwin will be able to use 'wait()' to wait for
> processes.  It will be able to set a process group and kill all programs
> in the process group, etc.

We have discussed this before.  I want to minimize the dependencies on
Cygwin because I intend to eventually introduce a version that compiles
without it, based on the work that Suhaib started.  It is in my best
interests to try to do things with the Win32 API so that I have to
change a minimum number of things.

We have already discussed the merits of doing this and I think everyone
already knows how everyone else feels on the subject, so I think we can
leave it at that.