XWinrc configurable server (menus/icons)

David Fraser davidf@sjsoft.com
Wed Aug 6 05:09:00 GMT 2003

Earle F. Philhower III wrote:

> Howdy Harold,
> At 07:31 PM 8/5/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> In other words, I might look at your patch tomorrow, or I might look
>> at it next week.  Can't say for sure.
>> In any case, thanks for the patch, I like the idea and am looking
>> forward to seeing what it does.
>

> No rush.  But just delete the tar file I sent yesterday, that was
> really just
> a parser that read the config file.  It took a few hours of futzing
> around today,
> but I got it nicely integrated into the server.  Now on init it parses
> ~/.XWinrc
> or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/system.XWinrc and makes custom menus and
> submenus for
> the taskbar icon and each window, and can replace icons with ones
> specified
> in the rc file.
>
> I'm attaching the diffs against test95 below, please use these for any
> testing
> you do (there are several new files, so if patch asks: you do want to
> make new
> files...).  The file _usr_X11R6_lib_X11_system.XWinrc has all the
> documentation
> on the RC format anyone'd need.  If the file's not found, you get the
> exact
> same behaviour as test95 as far as menus/icons/etc.
>
> ** There's also a off-by-one bugfix in winmultiwindowclass.c, so no
> matter
> what that file's changes should go in... **
>
> Oh yeah, a simple "if (fork()==0) { execl(); exit(0); }" seems to
> spawn X and
> Windoze apps fine.  I know there was some discussion about this
> earlier...
>
> Below's the sample config that I'm running that replaces the X.ico
> with one that's
> floating in my Windows directory, and replaces Xterm's with another,
> and adds
> custom menus to Xterm, all other windows, and the toolbar window...

Wow! This is great! Just what we were discussing earlier...
Just one comment: Is it not possible to automatically set the DISPLAY
variable from X so that it automatically starts the xterms etc in the
right X display, rather than having to pass a commandline parameter? (In
fact, if they inherited the environment, this might happen anyway, but I
don't know if X defines DISPLAY inside itself...)

David