XWinrc configurable server (menus/icons)

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Wed Aug 6 16:29:00 GMT 2003

Igor,

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>>Two small notes here:
>>1) You can actually call setenv("DISPLAY", value) inside the XWin process,
>
>                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Umm, make that {char buf[80]="DISPLAY=";putenv(strcat(buf,value));}
> Sorry.  The point remains, however.
>

>>which will be inherited by XWin's children.
>>2) You can pass an explicit environment pointer to execl (well, execle,
>>actually).
>>
>>Either way, you don't have to rely on the outside environment.

I like your suggestions.  Both of these are simpler than adding a
variable substitution system to the preferences file, and neither
require that the person writing the preferences file have any knownledge
of needing to pass any informationa about which display to run the
program on.