XWinrc configurable server (menus/icons)

Earle F. Philhower III earle@ziplabel.com
Thu Aug 7 01:44:00 GMT 2003

Howdy Christopher, Igor, and Harold...

>Two small notes here:
>1) You can actually call setenv("DISPLAY", value) inside the XWin process,
>which will be inherited by XWin's children.
>On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 01:06:55PM -0400, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> >The for loop that you have is the way I have seen it done before.
>Me too.  However, if you can find an API specification for something
>which does something similar in the Single Unix Specification, I'd be
>...>>  getrlimit(RLIMIT_NOFILE, &rl);
> >>  for (i = STDERR_FILENO+1; i < rl.rlim_max; i++)
> >>       (void) close(i);
> >>but that seems wasteful to iterate over rlim_max...
(make that rlim_cur, closing 4 billion descriptors takes too long...)

I'm attaching another diff (against test95 plain), be sure to so a
"make Makefiles" and "make depend" before "make XWin.exe".

It does all the prior stuff and
a) Closes all fds on the fork()'d process
b) Sets environment variable DISPLAY=xxx:yy
c) Replaces %display% with 127.0.0.1:<display>.0 in commands
d) Better syntax error display, gives lineno and expected token in XWin.log
e) Error messages in log when it can't load an icon/etc.
f) Checks WM_NAME property for a match for icons, not just class name
    ^^  Pretty neat in use, I have my fast Linux machine xterms with
        titlebars like "Linux:machinename:$cwd" and Hobbes (Calvin&Hobbes)
icon,
        and my slow Sun machine xterms with a CharlieBrown icon!

-Earle F. Philhower, III
  earle@ziplabel.com
  cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel
  http://www.cdrlabel.com