Unable to delete .X11-unix\X0 file

Boris Mayer-St-Onge boris@gmc.ulaval.ca
Mon Aug 11 13:15:00 GMT 2003

Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> Boris Mayer-St-Onge wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> We have Cygwin 1.3.22-1 installed on a Windows XP sp1 machine with
>> XFree86 4.3.0-1.  The computer is part of a domain and can be use by
>> several users.
>>
>> The installation on Cygwin/XFree86 has been done as follow :
>>
>> 1- As Administrator, we have installed Cygwin/XFree86 on a local D:\
>> drive (so not at the standard folder).
>>
>> 2- We have edited the file usr\X11R6\bin\starxwin.bat to set correctly
>> the variable CYGWIN_ROOT.
>>

> You shouldn't need to do that if you are running startxwin.bat from the
> d:\ drive and Cygwin was installed to d:\cygwin.  On the other hand, if
> you used a directory other than d:\cygwin, you would have to set
> CYGWIN_ROOT.

We effectively do not use the d:\cygwin directory.

>> When we run Cygwin/XFree86, everything is correct for everybody.
>> Unfortunately, when a user close his session without exiting
>> Cygwin/XFree86, the file tmp\.X11-unix\X0 is not deleted.  When an
>> other user try to open Cygwin/XFree86, the application doesn't start
>> since the file tmp\.X11-unix\X0 is present and the user is not able to
>> delete it.  As administrator I must then delete the file.
>>
>> I have try to modify the permissions on folder tmp and tmp\.X11-unix
>> to allow users to delete the XO file but I doesn't work.
>>
>> So my questions are :
>>
>> 1- Is the above situation normal?
>>
>> 2- If not, what should I forget to do during the installation and
>> configuration?
>>
>> 3- If yes, is it possible to allow users to delete XO file?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for suggestions and answers.
>

> Short of an administrative permissions fix (which I still think should
> work),

I haven't found how.  Do you have suggestions?

> I can only suggest that maybe it is time we start trapping the
> logoff/shutdown messages and call GiveUp when this happens.  I would
> think that Windows would send the WM_QUIT or WM_CLOSE message to all
> open applications in these cases, but I could be wrong.  Are the users
> simply turning the machine completely off?  If so, then you would need
> to retrain the users before looking for other solutions.

No, the users only close their session.  They know they must close
Cygwin before log out but with the new version, with -multiwindow (we
love it), users close the xterm but sometime forgot to close the
Cygwin/XFree86 Server.

Boris