Cannot display through rsh

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Wed Aug 13 00:32:00 GMT 2003

Ben,

Ben Kim wrote:

> If Cygwin is not aware of java, which means the GUI
> app should not be able to display on my Windows
> machines, then why is it the case that number #1 in my
> example works?

You got it about exactly backwards from what Igor told you.

Java for Windows does not understand the X Window System. Java for
Windows displays graphics via the Win32 GDI system.  Java for UNIX
machines displays graphics via the X Window System.

Cygwin/XFree86 is an implementation of the X Window System.  Thus,
setting DISPLAY on your UNIX machine to point to your Windows machine
that is running Cygwin/XFree86 will cause the X graphics to show up
under Cygwin/XFree86.

However, the Win32 GDI system is nothing like the X Window System.  It
was not initially designed to be network transparent like the X Window
System.  Thus, there is not a simple way to display Windows applications
running on a remote machine.

Harold

   Meaning, when I'm on Unix, set the