Looking for a step by step tutorial to use Cygwin for setting up an X terminal on Windows

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Fri Aug 22 16:34:00 GMT 2003

Denis,

Denis Lavaud wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I spent some time browsing the web and the archives of this mailing
> list but did not find a step by step tutorial/howto explaining how to
> set-up an XDM session on Windows to log on a remote Unix/Linux
> workstation (as an X terminal does).

It isn't entirely clear if you are asking about the elusive "minimal
install" or if you are just asking how to use XDMCP from Cygwin/XFree86.
  Since I don't know what you are asking, here is the info on how to
install Cygwin/XFree86 in the User's Guide:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/setup-cygwin-xfree-installing.html

Additionally, there is a section that tells how to use XDMCP:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-session.html

> What is the minimal set of packages to select in the "setup.exe"
> installer ? Will the "setup.exe" handle package dependencies so that
> I can clear all selected packages and select the only Xfree packages ?
> What is the exact list of required packages for this only usage of
> Cygwin environment ?

Several people have looked into the "minimal install" in the past.  They
may have setup some seperate websites describing what they discovered.
The Cygwin/XFree86 project does not include a minimal installation as
one of its goals at this time... any information on this will likely
come from individuals on the list or other sources.

> Is there a web site explaining how to set the Cygwin configuration
> files ?

Specifically, what configuration files?

Hope that helps,