Window Maker not able to run

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sat Aug 23 01:55:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Dev wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am currently setup on a windows XP box and trying to get windowmaker
> to run. Openbox and fvwm2 work fine.
>
> The problem that I am having is that the user account on XP is "Brian
> Doyle" two words with a space.
>
> How do i get past that issue???

Well, a quick workaround is to edit /etc/passwd and remove the space from
your username (or replace it by something, e.g., underscore).  The "right
thing to do" would be to look at the WindowMaker sources to see where it
fails and fix them (most likely there is a quoting bug in some shell
script).  An exact failure message would help diagnose the problem
further.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/