Running remote programs locally

Andrew Clarke spam@clarke.ca
Wed Aug 27 16:20:00 GMT 2003

Hi.  I'm new to cygwin although I've been using Unix/Linux on and off
for several years.  I have the full cygwin-xfree package loaded and I'm
trying to ssh into my Linux computer and run applications locally.  So,
this is the process I go through:

Start bash shell
Run 'xwin &'
When it comes up, I 'ssh linuxcomputer' and enter my password
Through vncserver at my root prompt of my linux computer, I type 'xhost
+windowscomputer'.  I did the same with my windows computer's IP address
just to be sure.
 >From the xwin ssh window to my linux computer, I type something simple
like 'xterm -display windowscomputer:0' and I get the following error:

Xlib: Connection to "windowscomputer:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

I think I got xterm to work once a few days ago but since I don't have
it working now I'm not even sure about that.  I have never been able to
get anything like Mozilla or Evolution to run though.

This is supposed to work, right?  Does anybody have any ideas about what
I'm doing wrong?

Thanks a lot,
- Andrew Clarke.