Cygwin and XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1

Terrence Branscombe ue191@victoria.tc.ca
Tue Dec 9 20:33:00 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm brand new to Cygwin (and X in general) and would appreciate some
help understanding how to set up authentication with
XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1.  I'm running the latest Cygwin/XFree86 release and
connecting to an HP AlphaServer running OpenVMS.  The XDM for OpenVMS
supports the XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1 method, but the docs fail to mention
anything about how the keys are generated.  Does the sysadmin simply
make up some numbers, or is there a tool for generating a specific key
format?

First of all, does Cygwin support this method?  If so, I guess the next
thing I need to know is how and where the key is supposed to be stored
on the system running Cygwin/XFree.  FInally, what command-line
parameters are available to pass the key value to the XDM?

Many thanks in advance,

Alder