Running xhost from Cygwin Bash Shell..

Jason Kalin jkalin@klasca.com
Wed Dec 10 20:57:00 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have the latest Cygwin release.  I'm setting up to display my remote
linux desktop on my Win2k box.
Running inside of the Cygwin Bash Shell, I start XWin(xwin -screen 0
1400 1050&) with no local
applications.  When I then run 'xhost +' from the bash shell, the X
server windows flashes and restarts.
Even though 'xhost +' printed 'access control disabled, ..', since the X
server is restarting the xhost +
change is nullified.

It seems I can work around this if I start just one window local to
Cygwin before running 'xhost +'.  It
doesn't seem to matter what the window is:  xterm, xclock, whatever.
Then when I run 'xhost +' next
the X server window doesn't flash/restart, and the 'xhost +' effect of
'access control disabled, ..' has taken place
and I am able to remotely start applications from my linux box
connecting to the Cygwin X Server.

Am I violating any rules by this process, is this a known or unknown issue?

Thanks, Jason Kalin