not getting login using xdmcp

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Tue Dec 23 07:26:00 GMT 2003

1

> Find out the IP address of the interface that is actually
> communicating with sonslinux and make sure to specify that IP address
> in the -from parameter.  If you give it the wrong IP, it will cause
> the XDM serve to be unable to send messages back to XWin.exe

Retried it with my IP address. Same problem.

>> XDM: too many retransmissions
>
> This is your key log message from XWin.log.  The XDM support in
> XWin.exe is generic to all X Servers, so you can google for this
> message and try to find some help there.  My guess is that you either
> have a problem with the return address being incorrect (as I talk
> about above), or one of the following:
>
> 1) You have not enabled an XDM server on your Linux machine followed
> by a restart.

I have (an aside, my understanding is that XDMCP runs on port 177. I try
to telnet to port 177 and get connection refused. Guess this is not
good). As you probably know XDMCP is not enabled by default. I have
changed the config files to allow it (at least I think I have) and have
not only restarted kdm but have rebooted the machine to no avail.

> 2) You could also just not be running you linux machine at the correct
> run level, which would cause the XDM server to not even be started.

Sonslinux sits right next to me. I am logged into a kde session right
now so I assume I'm at the proper run level.

> 3) You have not enabled remote XDMCP connections for the XDM server
> that you are running (followed by a restart):
>
> http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-xfree-faq.html#q-mandrake-8.1-xdmcp
>

> NOTE: The fact that the above link says "Mandrake" can be ignored...
> it was originally written when Mandrake started defaulting XDMCP to
> being disabled, which was closely followed by my realizing that almost
> all distributions started doing this.

Yes. Let me read that and see what I find... (BTW this page answers my
soon to be next question of why I can't XDMCP to the Solaris box - Need
to use a font server! Thanks. BTW that XWin.log file may have been from
my attempt to XDMCP to the Solaris box. I've attached a new XWin.log).

Enabled XDMCP in /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc (SuSE 8.2 - it's not
listed in your table -perhaps you would like to update that).

Note I also found the following in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config:

! SECURITY: do not listen for XDMCP or Chooser requests
! Comment out this line if you want to manage X terminals with xdm
!
!DisplayManager.requestPort:    0

And as you can see I have commented that out. Both of these actions I
have done a few days ago and have since restarted kdm and even rebooted
sonslinux but the problem remains. This is why I'm pulling my hair out!

Additionally I made sure the following appears in
/opt/kde3/share/config/Xaccess and /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess:

# The nicest way to run the chooser is to just ask it to broadcast
# requests to the network - that way new hosts show up automatically.
# Sometimes, however, the chooser can't figure out how to broadcast,
# so this may not work in all environments.
#

*               CHOOSER BROADCAST       #any indirect host can get a chooser

Oh, BTW your link for Linux XDMCP HOWTO
(http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/) when clicked yeilds:

Note:   You are trying to access The Linux Documentation Project website
using an old (and unsupported) URL. Please update your bookmarks to use
www.tldp.org <http://www.tldp.org> or en.tldp.org <http://en.tldp.org>
(if you just need the English documentation). Click to go directly to
the page you requested: http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/
--
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.