Proper attribution of patches

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Tue Dec 23 19:32:00 GMT 2003

The following CVS commit, made by Thomas Dickey, has no indication that
Thomas was either a) not involved at all in the patch or b) that Thomas
found Ralf Habacker's patch and committed a modified version of that patch.

The CVS log message says:
     fixes for _XtInherit on cygwin.

The hw/xfree86/CHANGELOG files says:
      XFree86 4.3.99.903 (xx December 2003)
      + 699. Fixes to build/run on cygwin (Thomas Dickey).

I know that this patch was based at least in part (if not entirely) on
Ralf Habacker's patch for the same, since it includes a more than twenty
line comment from Ralf along with his name at the bottom:

http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/lib/Xt/Initialize.c.diff?r1=3.21&r2=3.22&f=h

Given the fact that XFree86 has shown little support for Cygwin in the
past coupled with the fact that Cygwin/X is no longer associated with
XFree86, I request that you take care to properly attribute patches from
members of the Cygwin/X community.

Thank you,

Harold Hunt