website & identifiers

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Sat Dec 27 17:27:00 GMT 2003

Thomas Dickey wrote:
> When perusing the website for news, it would be useful if the pages were
> marked (in their source) as generated or manually updated.  For the former
> (unless they're generated on demand), a modification date would also be
> useful.  For the latter, an RCS/CVS/etc identifier to distinguish
> successive versions is normally expected.
>
> Are the pages all generated from another format, or are some in CVS
> (somewhere)?

The Documentation (User's Guide, Contributor's Guide, and FAQ) are
generated from DocBook source; see the following page for information on
where to get the source in CVS:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/devel/documentation/

I believe that all other pages on the site are manually generated, and
they are stored in CVS.  My various attempts to find a public CVS
interface to the tree and to find a CVSWeb interface to the tree have
not been successful; I have not checked with Chris whether this is
intentional or not, in either case, it is beyond my control.

We could add an identifier to each file.  I have to look into some
options for doing so.

In the meantime, enjoy the following hack:

http://cygwin.com/xfree/CVS/Entries