Rootless and multiwindow

Anton Vaaranmaa antonv@postikaista.net
Wed Feb 19 20:19:00 GMT 2003

Hello,

Judging by this screenshot <URL:
http://www.cygwin.com/xfree/screenshots/cygwin-xfree86-multiwindow.png > I
got the impression that nowadays one can run X-applications in Cygwin XFree
without a window manager (like Twm, WindowMaker), and that X-apps sort of
blend in in the MS-Windows GUI like they were native Win32 apps.

In the screenshot those WinXP window decorations and the fact that those
x-apps are present in the windows taskbar suggest they are managed by Windows
XP, but when I tried the latest stable Cygwin-XFree myself I had to use a
standard *nix window manager or else no frame and wm buttons etc would be
present and windows could not be moved like they are supposed to.

I'm confused: what* is* it actually that I'm seeing? Just some WinXP theme for
some standard *nix wm or are those apps *really* managed by MS-Windows? If
they are, then what is the magic thing I have to do in order to enable this?
Now I have used "-rootless" and "-multiwindow'' as arguments for Xwin in my
startxwin.bat script.

--
Anton