XFree86-cygwin & KDE & national keybord layouts

Lev Serebryakov lev@serebryakov.spb.ru
Fri Feb 21 23:15:00 GMT 2003

Hello, Alexander!

>> AM> Something else I think, if my memory doesn't fail me, MS Windows can't
>> AM> provide all the nifty keyboard-combinations (like C-S-[something])
>> AM> that are available under for example linux..
>>  Again: it works for twm+xterm (they are run from remote host too).
AG> How can layout change from KDE work in twm, when KDE is not loaded?
  Not from KDE, but from keyboard!

  Here are two situations:

  (1) twm + xterm (remote), XFree86-cygwin with config where group
      change is ctrl+shift (local).
      When I press ctrl+shift TWO things happens:
         (a) Windows' keyboard layout is being changed for XFree86 window -- it
             could be seen by changing letters on tray
         (b) XFree86 XKB's layout is being changed: xterm shows
             RUSSIAN letters on next keypresses.

  (2) KDE with group change is ctrl+shift (remote), XFree86-cygwin with
      config where group change is ctrl+shift (local).
      When I press ctrl+shift ONE things happens:
         (a) Windows' keyboard layout is being changed for XFree86 window -- it
             could be seen by changing letters on tray

      KDE's (XKB) layout is not changed! But clicking on switch icon
      in KDE works!

  It is ONE server and ONE server's config.

  Or even better: I start xterm (without any WM), and ctrl+shift
  works, then I start `startkde' from xterm and when KDE loading is
  finished ctrl+shift doesn't work anymore. After that I'm logging out
  from KDE (only xterm still to be live) and ctrl+shift DON'T work!

  It seems, that KDE corrupt XKB config... But I have KDE configured
  to have "Ctrl+Shift" as group change!

>>  There is problem in KDE+Xfrtee86-cygwin pair, not in XFree86-cygwin
>>  itself.
AG> Until proven otherwise I'd assume that _KDE_ does not react on the keypress.
AG> As you wrote the layout change via clicking the icon does work, so the XKB
AG> part is working.
  How could I prove my words? ;-)

               Lev Serebryakov
| FIDONet: 2:5030/661.0                         |
| E-Mail:  lev@serebryakov.spb.ru               |
| Page:    http://lev.serebryakov.spb.ru/       |
| ICQ UIN: 3670018                              |
| Phone:   You know, if you have world nodelist |