X server starts, xterm won't

Alex Chin achin@wam.umd.edu
Thu Jan 9 14:18:00 GMT 2003

I've installed a vanilla version of cygwin/xfree on a Windows2k Pro
computer. No matter how I start X (startx, startxwin.sh, startxwin.bat,
or XWin itself), twm "loads" but nothing else will.

twm's desktop appears, but I can't use the menu or launch an xterm.

I've checked /etc/XWin.log and found no errors. I've got no idea what the
problem could be. DISPLAY is set properly and I'm not getting any
errors. X programs just refuse to display (their processes are outputted
in ps).

Any ideas?

Alex Chin