DirectColor-visual?

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Tue Jan 14 00:51:00 GMT 2003

Francisco,

Do you know what a DirectColor visual is?

Do you know why you would need a DirectColor visual?

Do you know of any Windows-based graphics cards that actually support
DirectColor?

My understanding of DirectColor is that it allows you to specify the
range of colors that will be used in a mode that is similar to
TrueColor... however, I don't know of a single Windows graphics card
that allows you to do that.  I don't know of any program that utilizes
such a visual either.  As such, there is no support for DirectColor in
Cygwin/XFree86.  I don't expect that there will ever be DirectColor
support in Cygwin/XFree86 unless someone can explain to me that I am way
wrong.

DirectColor seems like a lot of things in X: it was thought to be REALLY
useful when X was designed, but it turned out to be anything but useful.
  I read about those things once, then I ignore them after that.

So, anyone else know what DirectColor is?

Harold