Problems installing font

Tim Baggett tim@oasis.com
Wed Jul 2 20:26:00 GMT 2003

Borge,

I have Mentor Graphics Design Architect running under Cygwin/Xfree86 after
installing the Mentor fonts. I hope this tutorial will help you and others
get up and running. I may have some typos in the commands, so watch out, but
it should be accurate enough for you to get the idea of what needs to be
done.

First you have to extract the Mentor fonts from the Mentor installation on
your Unix/Linux system. The instructions below roughly follow the
instructions provided in the following URL:
http://wwww.hummingbird.com/exceedusers/Jan1999/0031.html

Run the Mentor font extraction tool:
mkdir /tmp/Mentor
 $MGC_HOME/bin/mgc_font_collect -v -p /tmp/Mentor
cd /tmp
tar -zcvf mentor_fonts.tgz Mentor

Now, transfer the mentor_fonts.tgz file to /tmp your Cygwin machine, and
install the fonts into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Mentor:

cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
tar -zxvf /tmp/mentor_fonts.tgz

Next, create compressed PCF fonts and build a fonts.dir font database for
the Mentor directory:

cd Mentor
gzip *
mkfontdir .

Now all you need to do is add the new Mentor font directory path at the end
your font path:

xset fp+ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Mentor

This needs to be done once each time your run the Xfree server - I haven't
yet figured out how to make the new font path permanent. I need to research
XF86Config a little better, but it appears Xfree86 does not use XF86Config.
It's handled differently under Windows than Linux. Manybe someone can offer
some tips.

Now, run your Mentor tool from your remote host, and watch it pop up with
the correct icons!

Once you have installed the Mentor fonts on one Cygwin/Xfree machine, you
can simply archive the Mentor fonts directory and unarchive them on other
machines you want to install:

tar -zcvf /tmp/mentor_xfree_fonts.tgz /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Mentor

tar -zxvf /tmp/mentor_xfree_fonts.tgz -C /

Don't forget to xset the font path!

Here's another resource I fount very helpful:
http://xfree86.org/4.2.0/fonts2.html#2

Happy designing!

Regards,
Tim