PseudoColor and private colormap

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux@peaktime.be
Thu Jul 3 08:32:00 GMT 2003

celine.renard@actemium.com wrote:
 > Céline RENARD ACTEMIUM Le Havre Parc d'activités B.P. 117 76330
 > NOTRE-DAME-DE-GRAVENCHON - FRANCE
 >
 > email : celine.renard@actemium.com Tel : (33) 02 32 84 10 48 Standard
 > : (33) 02 32 84 10 10 Telecopie : (33) 02 32 84 10 00 -----
 > Réacheminé par Celine Renard/NDG/MCII le 03/07/03 09:50 -----
 >
 > Celine Renard
 >  Pour :  cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
 >  16/06/03             cc :
 >  15:13                Objet :      PseudoColor and private colormap
 >

 > Hello,
 >
 > I create my own private colormap and store  the new colors in it. But
 > the XWin server does not display them. The XWin server displays them
 > when  I switch applications with <ALT> <TAB> What must I do to
 > enforce the XWin server to display them ?
 >

 > Céline RENARD

Isn't this the normal *X* behavior? ISTR the server+wm set as *the*
colormap, the one installed on the window having the focus. Hence one
would observe exactly the same problem in a pure-X environment with 2
windows having different colormaps. This is the famous 'colormap
flashing' (and the reason why I avoid PseudoColor like the plague;
nowadays almost any X-capable hardware has 24-bits TrueColor and it is
much easier to emulate color-mapping than to use the X mechanisms for it).

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles