Startup Sequence...

Klemens Meyer klesmen@teleinfo.de
Fri Jul 4 06:45:00 GMT 2003

VSong wrote:

> What is the cygwin startup sequence?  I know of three ways that you can
> start the X-Server: startx, startxwin.bat, and startxwin.sh.  My
> understanding is that when you start X .xsession or .xinitrc are run when
> you start X.  Is this true?  I've tried changing my .xsession file, but this
> didn't seem to do anything, so in the end I changed hte startxwin.bat.

The .xinitrc is only read when you use startx. On most *nix systems it
is the normal way to start the X-Server. Startx starts the server and
looks for .xinitrc and executes it. When .xinitrc exits, the X-Server
will be terminated too. That is very convenient because you do not have
to care about the server.

I recommend using startx because almost every bit of documentation
relies on this startup method. It makes live a great deal easier.

--

Ever wondered where I work? Try this:
http://www.map-scout.de/myMap.asp?G=332EBA4E8A73442294C50D02C0FB9C7A&S=0