[XFree86-4.2.0] Now that we have an improved ld, please make libXt a shared library.

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@myrealbox.com
Mon Jul 28 13:55:00 GMT 2003

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Nicholas,
>
> I really don't know what to do here.  Perhaps some others know what to
> do and whether or not this is a good idea.
>
> Would it be easier to update to 4.3.0?  Have we already made Xt a shared
> lib in 4.3.0?
>
> On a side note, has anyone been seeing signs of when 4.4.0 is going to
> be released?  I noticed that they just tagged 4.3.99.9, so maybe it
> would be better to wait an release 4.4.0 when it is ready instead.
>
> Any thoughts?

Hi Harold,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.  Alexander makes an excellent
argument for something I did not entirely considier, a broken import
table.  So your proposal to move to 4.3+ sounds like a plan to me.
Perhaps a strictly "testing" release of 4.3.99.9 might be in order?  If
what you say is true, it is highly doubtful that they would be making
serious incompatible interface changes so late in the game.  Something I
forgot to mention was the whole problem with makedpend which, for lack
of vision, insists on hardcoding the system include paths (which screws
people who have a different version of gcc from the one used to compile
X).  If anything, this needs to be configurable in a global config file
or during runtime it should call the compiler to learn the proper
include paths.  I was planning on filing a bug report for this, if it
hadn't already been fixed upstream.

Cheers,
Nicholas