-multiwindow crashes XWin.exe, twm does not

Thomas L Roche tlroche@us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 29 22:25:00 GMT 2003

Thomas L Roche wrote:
>> WebSphere Studio products typically put up a configuration dialog,
>> then display the full UI. When my startxwin.bat has

>> - start XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -unixkill

>> I get my xterm, in which I run

>> # local
>> xhost + 1.2.3.4
>> ssh -X -l userid 1.2.3.4
>> # remote
>> cd /opt/IBM/WebSphere/Express/SiteDeveloper
>> ./wasexpress51 &

>> This launches the dialog. When I hit OK (taking the harmless
>> defaults), taskmgr shows some activity, until XWin.exe GPFs. But if
>> I use

>> + start XWin -clipboard -unixkill

>> + REM Startup an xterm, using bash as the shell.

>> + run xterm -sl 1000 -sb -rightbar -ms red -fg white -bg blue -e
/usr/bin/bash

Harold L Hunt II Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:50:53 -0400 -----
> Please try -multiwindow without -clipboard.  That may work.

> Otherwise, please try the next test release that I make... it has
> some NULL pointer checks that may relate to your problem.

Harold L Hunt II Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:37:11 -0400
> You can install the Test 92 package via setup.exe by selecting the
> following version of the XFree86-xserv package: 4.2.0-43

So I installed that package from setup.exe and tried:

* start XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -unixkill

  No change: I still get the startup dialog, then a GPF.

* start XWin -multiwindow -unixkill

  Same: dialog, then GPF.

* start XWin -clipboard -unixkill <snip> run twm

  Still works.