Installing XLT

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Wed Jul 30 15:44:00 GMT 2003

Gary,

Gary Nicholson wrote:

> [To Harold Hunt]
>
> Harold,
>
> Thank you for asking for details about my saga.
>
> Here goes:
>
> I have XLT-9.2.9.tar in directory /tmp/xlt.
>
> I un-tar it and run "configure" from /tmp/xlt/xlt-9.2.9.
>
> The file config.log is attached. It shows that the
> error occurs when "checking for X.."
>
> Here is the line of the configure file which puts
> "checking for X.." into config.log file:
>
> 	echo "configure:2036: checking for X" >&5
>
> The error occurs after the above line.
>
> The error message is:
>
> 	eval: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
>
> My suspicion is that the configure script cannot find the X
> include files and libraries, so I added the following options:
>
> 	--x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include/X11
> 	--x-includes=/usr/X11R6/lib
>
> An "ls" of /usr/X11R6/include/X11 is in attached file lsinc.txt.
>
> An "ls" /usr/X11R6/lib is in attached file lslib.txt
>
> These options may not be correct, but the configure
> script executes without errors when I use them.

I don't know much about those options that I can tell you without having
to look it up myself.

> These paths are just guesses on my part. Do they look right to you?
>
> When I try "make", I receive an error:
>
> 	MAKE Version 5.2  Copyright (c) 1987, 1999 Inprise Corp.
> 	Error makefile 455: Colon expected
> 	*** 1 errors during make ***
>
> (Is Borland "make.exe" adequate? I have several Borland IDEs installed
> and Borland's MAKE is found first. Should I use a different make
> program?)

No, Borland's make is not going to work, unless XLT was specifically
designed to work with their make --or-- you intend to work through the
problems that arise and submit patches to XLT to be compiled with
Borland's make under Cygwin.

You need to make sure that the Cygwin /bin path is coming before the
path to any Windows executables in your Cygwin PATH envar.  You are
running make and configure from a Cygwin prompt, not a command prompt,
correct?

Let us know what happens when you get the PATH corrected... be sure to
rerun configure, or even start from a clean untar if you can.