XWin -multiwindows problem

terry tg5027@citlink.net
Thu Jul 31 22:24:00 GMT 2003

I have successfully setup a Win98se system with CygWin using
startxwin.bat from a download a couple of weeks ago (Perhaps if it had
been difficult, I would know better how to deal with this problem :>) ).

I am attempting to do the same on another system with almost identical
hardware, also using Win98se.  The significant difference between the
systems is that the successful system has a 19" monitor @1600x1200 while
the problem system has a 17" monitor @1024x768.  I have not modified
startxwin.bat, and everything works fine 'non-multiwindow'.  I cannot
determine how to deal with the error in the XWin log below.  Many thanks
for any help.

terry

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1024 h 768
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
OsVendorInit - Creating bogus screen 0
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
InitOutput - Error reading config file
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows 95/98/Me
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000017
InitOutput - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
winSetEngine - Multi Window => ShadowGDI
winAdjustVideoModeShadowGDI - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per
pixel
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - User w: 1024 h: 768
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Current w: 1024 h: 768
winAdjustForAutoHide - Original WorkArea: 0 0 768 1024
winAdjustForAutoHide - Taskbar is auto hide
winAdjustForAutoHide - Found LEFT auto-hide taskbar
winAdjustForAutoHide - Adjusted WorkArea: 0 1 768 1024
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - WindowClient w 1023 h 768 r 1023 l 0 b
768 t 0
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed -  Returning
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Creating DIB with width: 1023 height: 768 depth: 32
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Dibsection width: 1023 height: -768 depth: 32
size image: 3142656
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Shadow blit failure
winFinishScreenInitFB - Could not allocate framebuffer
winScreenInit - winFinishScreenInit () failed

Fatal server error:
InitOutput - Couldn't add screen 0